Instagram Tokyo, food, cats, cussing and loads of selfies: Is living in Tokyo really THAT expensive?

Friday, October 3, 2014

Is living in Tokyo really THAT expensive?

Sorry for not updating, I've been really busy with buying stuff for the apartment and being (home)sick.


BUT NOW ONWARDS! QUEUE INTRO MUSIC~
Today on Living in Tokyo we're gonna talk about economy. 

Things that will be covered:

  • Apartments vs Host Family vs Guest House
  • Expectations vs Reality in apartment
  • 100 yen stores - my new love
  • The cheap illusion
  • Transportation costs
  • Food costs

H'okay lessgo



Apartment vs Host Family vs Guest House
Now I live in an apartment but I've done loads of research and I've met people who live in Host Families/Guest House. If you don't know the differences of these three things, let me enlighten you.
   
     When you apply for a program in Japan you're usually given a couple of options; apartment, host family or guest house/shared house.

An apartment is generally more expensive and requires more effort but you get your own private place to do as you wish without interference. The apartments are generally small ( like tiny, really fucking tiny) and cost a fortune. Japan is known as an expensive country but so far my opinion is that Japan is cheaper than Sweden but living is really really reaaaally expensive. Combine that with school fees, train fees, money needed for basic things in your new apartment and you're looking at approx 1000USD or 700EUR or 7000SEK  the first month. Our rent is 129 000 yen which is like 8500 SEK or 1180 USD. That is really expensive for two students without a job (remember, I didn't come here alone). Even if you split it, it's still 4250 SEK per person a month. On top of that we have to pay electricity (I have an AC in my room and I think that everything over 20 celcius is unbearable), gas and water. Now, the gas I'm not too worried about, we have cooked once. That was today when I made eggs and parathas #housewaifu. The water won't be much of a problem either, I hope. I shower fairly quickly. Back home I could be in the shower for hours. Hours. Here, it's just get in, shower, get out. The ceiling is low in the bathroom so I feel a bit unsettled when showering but hey at least it saves water.

The reason to why I chose apartment was that I am a hypocritical germaphobe. What is that, you ask? Well it's not an actual thing, I kinda made it up but it sums me up quite good. You see, I hate germs. Other people's germs. It makes me nauseous to even think about it. Now, it doesn't hinder my at all in my everyday life or anything but when it comes to my home, I don't want germs of people I don't know. Wow...I sound like those people from the reality shows that air at night. So where does the hypocritical come in? Ehum, yeah ummm I'm a slob. Like I leave my shit everywhere and I don't pick up things if I drop them. I had a piece of chips on my floor for two days because it was never the right time to pick it up, walk the 2,5m to the trash and throw it. Yeah, I know it's disgusting, shut up. 
That is not the only reason though. You see, I have a bit of a frail body. I need a place where I can get sick without stress and just calm down, that isn't something I can get from being around many people. Also, the thought of a shared bathroom makes me want to throw up. Looking back on it though now that I have my own apartment, I think that a guest house would have been a more economic choice... 


If you choose a host family you get to immerse yourself in the japanese culture to the fullest, leading a japanese lifestyle from day 1. You'll have to talk in Japanese because people here don't actually speak English. However therein lies the problem, you need to follow their rules, their customs. If they want you to be home at ten, you have to be home at ten. Of course, this won't be a bother for some people but I'm a party person, and generally like to be outside during the evenings with my friends whether we're grabbing a drink or sitting a mcdonalds at 1.30 in the morning talking about the downfall of western capitalism. Also Tokyo's nightlife is awesome. I haven't experienced any actual party or anything yet but being in the city during the evenings gives you a glimpse of the amount of fun you can have.

If you want to learn Japanese as quick as possible and you have no trouble living with other people who might have a different view on life than you, then a host family is for you. You pay a small expense a month I think and you get breakfast and dinner. You get to learn about the Japanese lifestyle and culture and will learn loads of things that people who won't live in a host family won't. You'll be a part of the Japanese society more than any of us. But most importantly...You'll have a family. The people I've met here are really friendly (save for one or two people, but that is to be expected) and I imagine that they'll be there for you when you're homesick.

Now Guest Houses are a really good, cheap, way to live in a place like Tokyo. Chances are that there might be people there who've lived in Tokyo longer than you have and might teach you a thing or two. If you're lucky, you'll make friends with people you're living with. The reason to why I didn't choose is the same as above; I'm a germaphobe who cannot stand the thought of sharing a bathroom. I was also really afraid that I might not get along with the people I'd live with. Looking back, this would have probably been the wiser choice on my part but at least I have my first apartment~



Expectation vs Reality in an apartment

So you've booked the apartment and now all that is left is paying the deposit. You get the bill by mail, you open it and you close your eyes as it loads. And then you close the computer and yell profanities because that bill is BIG. And I mean BIG as in a bill I only wanted to see if I purchased a first class ticket including a five star all-inclusive hotel in Barbados. I pray to the gods in heaven and the devils in hell I never have to pay such a bill again. You think I'm joking but I'm poor, I ain't got that kind of money son.

But I digress. 

Let's say you pay the bill and you get yourself on the very long plane ride(s) to Japan. Welcome! If you get here during the evening, you better have a hotel room booked. We went with Flexstay Inn, they're really good, check them out, they also accommodate if you come really late in the evenings. 
        So the next day rolls around, did you have a good nights sleep? Not really? That's I'm sure you'll have it in your NEW APARTMENT wooohooo! You meet up with your contact from whatever company you're living with and you go to your apartment.



Ill continue later, I have to get a cellphone contract here~



No comments:

Post a Comment